zenPeak candidate: Deb
Contact Frank Abrams
Experienced publicity, promotions and marketing strategist with a solid track record in the arts, corporate and entrepreneurial environments. Experienced in in strategic planning and development, promotions, public relations and crisis communications with a mid to large sized companies.
Category experience includes entertainment, business to consumer package goods, beverage and alcohol, automotive, telecommunications, financial, food, retail, airline, healthcare, not for profit, skin care, cosmetics, fashion, Government across a multiple of targets including business to business. Strengths are energy, great relationships, writing, planning, team building and results.
Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)
Publicist, Canadian Films
-Manages all press activity for films by proactively pitching media and manages communications outreach for designated films
-Coordinates and facilitates interview requests
-Effectively manages current relationships with media and external stakeholders
-Writes and edits external and internal documents and maintains log of pitches, interviews completed and coverage generated
-Assists on red carpets with events related to films that are part of portfolio
BlackCreek Summer Music Festival,
Director, Media Relations
April 2011 to August 2011 (contract)
-Responsible for the developing public relations strategy, media relations, crisis communications, organizing press conferences for all concerts for the inaugural season
-Creates the crisis communications plans along with the CEO and Artistic Director with regards to cancellations, extreme weather, artist relations.
-Development of Facebook and Twitter strategy and execution editorial calendar for classical and opera concerts
-Development of sales newsletter for current ticket buyers
-Media coverage obtained for: Piacido Domingo, Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, John Fogerty and Levon Helm, Marvin Hamlisch, Martin Short, Jane Krakowski, Audra McDonald, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Dame Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons, Barry Manilow and The London Symphony Orchestra.
Thornley Fallis Communications,
September 2010 to April 2011
-Responsible for developing strategy and execution for the award winning campaign for 2010 Action Against Distraction safe driving national media relations for Allstate Insurance of Canada
-Responsible for developing strategy and all media materials for media relations campaigns for key clients such as Allstate Insurance of Canada, Pfizer, Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA) and for Transport Canada at the Federal Government.
-Lead on all public relations campaign, creating budgets, social media marketing, new business development, preparing presentations and presenting to new clients
-Training and development of staff on the traditional PR side of the business
Public Relations inc.
Principal, Senior Director
February 1999 August 2006 then resumed in July 2008 to August 2010
–Responsible for business development, developing public relations strategy for new clients, pitching media for existing clients and
– Previous experience includes public relations with clients as diverse as: Dynamic Hospitality, Yuk Yuk’s Comedy Clubs, Scarborough Town Centre, City of Brampton, City of Richmond Hill, Jane Lockhart Design Communications, The Jetstar Entertainment Group, Gallop and Gallop Advertising, dermaglow/Vital Science Corp., The Canadian Women’s Foundation, The Peel Children’s Centre , Alli’s Journey (for Young Adult Cancer), Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation and Gilda’s Club in Toronto, Fairmont Royal York Hotel in Toronto.
-Developed PR Strategies and executed major national programs for Canadian films and celebrity autograph sessions for grand openings for two Rogers Video Stores, The National Home Show, Wendel Clark’s Classic Grill and Sports Lounge (Vaughan/Oakville), The Air Canada Centre for Carmina Burana, Taboo Resort (Muskoka) for the Toronto Film Festival, Antigua Village Resort, Ontario Science Centre and Science North for a Jane Goodall film, The Royal Ontario Museum and the Dubai International Film Festival.
-Billed over $250,000 in new business for this boutique public relations agency in past two years. Accomplishments include obtaining editorial coverage resulting in over 30 million media impressions for clients.
-Media trained clients, created special events, promotions, crisis communications plans and execution.
-Selected entertainment client list: Renee Taylor and Joe Bologna at Winter Garden Theatre, Cavalia at the Distillery District in Toronto, Canada’s Walk of Fame, The Sean Cullen Show (CBC TV) Insight Productions, The Gavin Crawford Show (Comedy Network), Comedy Inc. (CTV), The W Network, TV Ontario, (TMN)The Movie Network, The Food Network, Showcase, Disney Records, Bea Arthur on Broadway (TaurPro Entertainment), BACI Entertainment (Baltimore) with Forever Tango and Jackie Mason Freshly Squeezed, Phyllis Diller, The Rose Theatre, Brampton (Natalie Cole, David Cassidy, Brent Butt Comedian, Just for Laugh’s Comedy Shows etc.), The Three Tenors in Concert Tour, Woody Harrelson publicity for This is Our Youth (play) and the film Go Further directed by Woody Harrelson.
Manager, Public Relations and Communications (Dept. Head)
August 1, 2006 to June 2008 (based in Calgary and Toronto
– Media spokesperson for one of Canada top airlines, responsible for all media communications and investor relations including creating all communications strategies, spokesperson training, media interviews on behalf of the CEO, president and executive team, all crisis communications planning and employee training.
– Created the internal employee newsletter Jetlines and as editor responsible for creating copy for all internal communications such as the media centre on WestJet’s website.
– Accomplishments include strategy and management all media relations for all issues management activities in 2006/07, creating the plan for a charitable giving strategy, positioning Sean Durfy as the next President and CEO in 2006 and managing all media relations during the transition for Chairman and CEO Clive Beddoe.
– Secured international press coverage for the first time for the Company.
– Developed the first media and communications strategy for WestJet Vacations for WestJet’s first international launch event and media junket for Nassau, Bahamas and Caribbean destinations in 2006.
1996 – 1999
Public Relations Manager
– Successfully handled the announcement of two new CEO’s and the sale of SkyDome and the crisis PR resulting from the bankruptcy proceedings
– Developed and implemented SkyDome’s first crisis communications plan and designed senior management training and crisis media training exercises for employees.
– Managed departmental budget achieving target revenue.
– Developed, wrote and implemented the first SkyDome website strategy and creation of website copy in 1998
Public Relations Manager, Canadian Opera Company, 1993 – 1996
Publicist, Mirvish Productions, 1991 â€“ 1993
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Specialist Degree in Arts Administration,
Business Co-operative Program, University of Toronto, Scarborough Campus
Post-Graduate Diploma, Marketing and Fundraising for the Arts,
George Brown College, Toronto (Income Management Program)
Marketing and Fundraising Certificates
The Banff Centre School of Management and the Banff Centre of the Arts
- Crisis Communications Seminar with the Greater Toronto Airport Authority (2006) Jeff Ansell, trainer with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (2005)
- JTS Advisors Strategy Coaching Success Summit Courses in San Diego, CA for 3 years with Jeffrey Sooey. Best coaching in the world for management, strategic planning and financial management for business owners and executives
- 2 years training for Crisis Communications and Internal Communications courses with Ragan Communications in Chicago
- Published case study for The Banff Centre School of Management Cultural Resources Management Programs for the University of Waterloo in partnership with Harvard University, University of Toronto and the University of Virginia.
- Guest speaker/instructor for Public Relations Program at Durham College, Arts Administration at Scarborough Campus University of Toronto, Public Relations for Ryerson Polytechnic University, Humber College and for the Sports and Entertainment Management at George Brown College, Sheridan College Corporate Communications Program
- Member of Verity Club in Toronto and Board Member for Kiwanis Club of Toronto, volunteer for Toronto Kiwanis Boys & Girls Club, Alli’s Journey Board member