Plant Manager Mississauga South
The company is one of North America’s leading brand of exterior and interior building products, with more than 5,000 employees and more than 50 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. Sales are over $2 billion.
- Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Plant Manager is accountable for managing the plant activities in a manner consistent with World Class Manufacturing. The successful candidate will be committed to: customer satisfaction, fostering trust and respect for and between all employees, customers and suppliers and continuously improving the operations through the employees. The Plant Manager will be held accountable for safety, environment,
quality, service, production efficiency, manufacturing cost and cash flow results that are consistent with annual targets and long term Corporate objectives.
- To effectively communicate direction/goals, plans, targets and results to all employees.
- To develop and administer a program to safeguard the health and welfare of all personnel, on and off site
- To establish and oversee programs to ensure that all buildings, equipment and grounds are maintained in good and safe operating condition and appearance and to ensure the environment is protected.
- To prepare the annual manufacturing business plan and, when approved, to administer it.
- Lead the plant in World Class Manufacturing initiatives.
- To ensure that all employees receive appropriate training in order that Manufacturing Business Plan objectives can be met.
- To promote a co-operative labour/management approach, to administer the labour contract, including complaint and grievance procedures in accordance with their provisions and, with the assistance of the Human Resources Department, to negotiate the labour contract.
- To produce products in sufficient quantity and quality to meet customer requirements.
- To meet customer service requirements.
- To arrange for the efficient warehousing of all products.
- To maintain inventories of operating supplies and maintenance materials.
- In conjunction with Supply Chain Management arrange for the purchase of raw materials, maintenance equipment and supplies.
- In conjunction with SCM to produce sufficient quantity of product and arrange for the efficient warehousing and loading of product to meet customer requirements.
- To conduct a continuous cost reduction program throughout the entire plant.
- To formulate recommendations relating to the long range manufacturing activities of the plant.
- To be aware of changes in the community and in industry which may impact upon the operations of the plant and the company.
- Other projects and responsibilities as required.
- A technical university degree in Science or Engineering or equivalent plus 5 – 7 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experienced working in a Unionized facility including participating in contract negotiations.
- Experience managing in a continuous improvement environment such as lean manufacturing, world class manufacturing or six sigma.
- Experience with TPM (Total Productive Maintenance and TPS (Toyota Production System)
- Candidates must have strong verbal and written communication skills, the ability to manage a variety of technical and production functions, a strong commitment towards quality and service, and be able to promote the company’s vision and values.
- The successful candidate will be expected to operate effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Computer proficient in Excel/Word.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and applicable Hazard Communication requirements and safety procedures.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of labor relations, manufacturing methods, process management, project management, and production planning.
- Knowledge of steel characteristics, press operation, quality control, and inspection procedures.
- Ability to direct and coordinate all manufacturing activities so that an adequate supply of approved products is kept within specifications, quality standards, budget guidelines, and on time as established by the VP of Operations.
- Ability to manage special projects including review of new plant equipment, dies, or custom specification; review and approval of blueprints, (ensuring exceptional, custom, or new products may be designed, evaluated, and implemented for production.)