Focus on the Best and Help the Rest
Clients: we deal with VITOs (very important top officers)
- Our 1st & primary point of contact is Owner-Operators and decision-makers (VITOs) who have an immediate need (with about 200 employees or more
- Growth companies with 200 employees or more
- START: Telephone conversations go from “presentation” of an internalized senior-level “hidden” Candidate to a “dialogue” with VITO about what they want
- TOOLS: We use an Internal Profile, 3 Second Resumes, and Success Stories to showcase Candidates. The internal profile is the shortened version of the resume we create after internalizing the Candidate. It should be close to the LinkedIn profile (except for identifying information). 3 Second Resumes and Success Stories are created by Candidates.
- STRATEGY: Be prepared for handling the opportunity Ch 19 & 20 in “Selling To VITO”. Listen and read the pdf from Bill Radin “How to Get Clients” about call type#1 (you have a great Candidate & you know about an open position) and call type#11 (you have a great candidate, but don’t know about open positions)
“HI THIS IS ________ FROM ZENPEAK RECRUITERS
(CONNECTION) WE NOTICED THAT YOU WERE AT THE TRADE SHOW OR…
(CONNECTION) WE WORK IN YOUR BUSINESS SEGMENT OR…
(CONNECTION) I NOTICED YOU HAVE SOME OPEN POSITIONS OR…
(don’t skip a beat)
WE HAVE A CANDIDATE NAMED ________________ WITH ___ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN FOR A SENIOR POSITION ….I’D LIKE 15 MINUTES FACE TO FACE TO TELL YOU MORE ABOUT (NAMED) ____________ AND HOW WE WORK”
- I’m busy…
- no problem I’ll call you back about the open positions, and the great Candidates we have, and how we work
- I’m not interested…
- #1 ok but I’m confused I thought your company had positions to fill, and we have some great Candidates and I’d like 15 minutes to tell you about them, and how we work.
#11 I understand you may not have an opening at the moment, before we hang up I just wanted to ask you; what is typically the most difficult position for you guys to fill? and If I were to come across someone with exceptional skills in that area, would you like to hear about that person?
- I’m happy with who we use…
- ok I understand that – just wanted to point our fees are only 13% net fees and we have great Candidates to fill those positions, and I’d like 15 minutes to tell you about them, and how we work.
I understand, you’re not looking to add anyone else to your supplier list but, before we wrap up, I had a thought; if this candidate could solve a need that you have right now, we could put a one time agreement in place for just this search. What are your thoughts? I would hate for you to miss out the opportunity of this amazing candidate with such a good fit to your company.
- Send a brochure…
- ok I’ll be happy to send you an email with info. on ______ who is a great Candidate, our pricing and how we work
- Call back in 6 months…
- #1 ok but I’m confused I thought your company had positions to fill, and ______ is a great Candidate and I’d like 15 minutes face to face to tell you about him/her, our pricing and how we work
Shunt (read this)
- Speak to so and so… HR handles everything…PUTTING ON THE BRAKES
- ok but before I do that and potentially waste their time…we only deal with top Candidates and in this case, ___________ is at a senior level in her/his company, and is interested in what opportunities there are, and what interest there is, to significantly grow your business. Our Candidate is interested in you, and what you need done. Since i ‘ve only had a short conversation with you, I wouldn’t be able to get back to _________ with the kind of information they are looking for from the senior decision-maker, (by talking with HR).
- can so and so sign this engagement contract if it goes forward?
- do you use recruiters?
- can I discuss our pricing & process for a minute first?
- are you ready to hire now?
- are you satisfied with our 5% + 8% pricing?
- do you have other positions to fill?—————————————————————————————–
- Telephone, face to face contact, and Client referrals are best (we avoid passive sales efforts like email)
- Understand Client Personality Styles (Analytical, Driver, Amiable, and Expressive) and adjust interactions
- Work with “Gatekeepers” & Executive Assistants, as if they are VITOs (they run the day to day of company)
- To get VITO attention, present zenPeak Internal Profiles of Candidates
- Follow Mr. Gray’s 4 habits for Success (pleasing results vs. pleasing methods)
- Stick to the core zenPeak benefits;
- service: 24/7 executive attention
- experience: business and domain expertise
- low cost: 5% fixed + 10% success (net 8% & subject to change)
- proven up-front process: guaranteed to recruit peak performers
- standardized 3 Second Resumes
- EQ profile & assessment for benchmark role
- interview preparation
- formal reference interviews & notes
When does the search begin? When do we get started?
The signed engagement contract with Clients is the DECISION POINT – that’s when a search begins – focus on qualifying opportunities instead of agreeing to send in the resumes of your internalized Candidates. If they won’t sign a contract with a fixed fee, or a sign a contract with a success fee… you are wasting your time. Anything before the signed engagement contract is not solid.
- Grow the database of “hidden” senior-level Candidates & “internalize” them to make marketing easier
- Evaluate competency and work experience, discover salary history, reasons for transitions etc.
- Candidates should create a zenPeak style 3 Second Resume
- demonstrates their interest, attitude and compliance
- enables a standardized presentation to Client
- overcomes work experience weaknesses
- Interview coaching in every interview:
- come with 2 perfect clean copies of same resume the interviewer has – don’t assume they have it ready even if they say they do
- arrive exactly 10 min early
- to answer a convoluted behavioural interview question, reflect & repeat it back in a simpler way… “if you are asking me how would I deal with problems with a co-worker. I would …
- no gum, no smells, no smoking the same day
- dress for success and to impress (go a day early to check it out or ask)
- practice short answers – cope with silence for a few seconds with a smile
- be ready to answer… “tell me about yourself” inc. a bit about yourself and bring it back to your passion and the opportunity
- stay on message & answer what is asked in short answers
- do research to answer the question… “Do you know what we do?” (Client not zenPeak) and start the answer with “from what I understand…”
- make eye contact
- good posture
- ask permission to take a few notes then do it occasionally especially if the interviewer is doing an information dump as if you have already been hired
- zeroriskHR testing and assessment system
- short-list Candidates are tested prior to the face to face interview with the Client