Senior Database Administrator
Permanent | 5 July 2019 | Waterloo, ON Canada
Client ID 272374
Senior Database Administrator
Senior Database Analyst – Procom KW is currently in search of a Senior Database Administrator for our insurance client located in Waterloo.
Senior Database Analyst Job Details
This role provides third line support and project delivery services as part of the IT Database Administration team to support the deployment, configuration and migration of Core Infrastructure services in multi-site global enterprise environment.
This will consist of deploying, configuring and maintaining production, development and test Databases predominantly based on Microsoft SQL and Microsoft Server operating Systems. In addition, the candidate must be able to troubleshoot and isolate issues and failures in a hybrid virtual/physical Windows server environment operating on VMWare hypervisors as well as within AWS and Azure laaS and PaaS environments.
- candidate will work closely in a small globally distributed team to manage the equipment and services operated from datacenters and public cloud environments around the world and deliver new solutions and modifications to that infrastructure as required. They will be primary lead DBA servicing US/Canadian Eastern time zone.
The ideal candidate will develop solutions to increasingly complex problems, utilizing ingenuity, thoroughness, and practicality; and perform their work with minimal direction or oversight. The candidate must understand how their tasks fit within the overall program objectives and perform their work accordingly. The selected candidate will be expected to engage with program leadership, external business partners and customers, as required to provide technical information regarding the program.
Senior Database Analyst Responsibilities
Provide support, install, manage/maintain and develop in particularly Microsoft SQL Server stack (DB, AS, IS, RS, MDS) incl Operating system support.• Work within Disaster Recovery program for the Americas including managing and performing DBA duties during DR tests, maintaining processes and carrying out of live DR invocation• Lead DBA portions of project support activity, Incl deployment management for applications• Carry out BAU tasks including Action Service Desk requests and Change requests within the associated SLA with others in the team, Monitor DBA maintenance tasks.
- Working closely and supporting in house development teams as they evolve to a DevOps operating model
- Designing and managing PaaS and laaS DBs running in AWS and AzureWork with and manage vendors throughout the Incident/Problem/Change processes
- Ensure creation of and adherence to DBA standards and principles and processes are documented
- Provide support to development teams for database and other Bl related activities.
- Provide impact analysis of new requirements, and assist in the design of relevant infrastructure where required
- Provide in depth performance analysis of systems and produce and implement recommendations and Drive optimization through automation and scripting
- Maintain a strong understanding of business processes and their interfaces with IT
- Maintain awareness of licensing
- Ensure that capacity is monitored and maintained both in terms of storage and processing.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by line management
Senior Database Analyst Mandatory Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, computer science, or equivalent work experience.In-depth SQL server database administration skills 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 variants.Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.Proven track record working as a SQL Server Database Administrator in an enterprise environment.Experience in managing large database environments (STB+).
- SQL scripting skills -stored procedures, views, tables, functions ad-hoc queries.Experience of SSRS, SSIS, MDS, DQS, Power Bl, SSAS Deployment.Experience of Database tuning and capacity management skills – e.g. PBM, TDE, Compression, SQL Profiler, System Stored Procedures.
- Experience in creating technical standards and aligning systems to those standards to ensure best practice is followed.
- Knowledge of database replication and high-availability solutions – e.g. Always on Clustering and Availability groups, Peer-to-Peer Replication, DB Mirroring, Log Shipping.
- Creating technical standards and aligning systems to those standards to ensure best practice is followed.
- Experience managing SQL server disk performance and IO related challenges.
- Experience working with development frameworks -Agile, Scrum.
- Experience working in an IT team within a financial services organization.
- Experience working directly with business owners to deliver solutions.
- Experience in implementing and maintaining DB security.
- Experience in DB design and optimization in development environments.
- Experience in root cause analysis of performance issues.
- Experience of ITIL applied in a production environment.
- Strong knowledge of Partitioning.
- Experience in supporting a data warehouse project initiative (inception to completion).
- Experience with PowerShell scripting in enterprise environments.
Senior Database Analyst Nice to Have Skills
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues and managing technical teams.
- Experience using Microsoft 2008, 2012, & 2016 server support.
- Working knowledge of general IT security.
- Experience designing, maintaining and optimizing DBs in IaaS and PaaS AWS & Azure deployments.
- Experience using Netapp storage.
- Working knowledge of application development in relation to DBs.
- Experience in using Netapp storage is advantageous
- Experience working within an IT team in a financial services organization.
- Experience in design, maintenance and management or non-SQL DBs.
Senior Database Analyst Start Date
As soon as possible.
Senior Database Analyst Length
Full time, permanent.